A photojournal of the celebration of my 59th year.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Full Moon Rising

My brother, Skip, called on Sunday to remind me that this was my last Fu year and I'd better start practicing my Su's.  Yes, it truly is.  This year of being 59 is now.  The Fu years have been fabulous so far.  I started off those years by having Logan when I was 40.  I met Broc when I was 44.  Doesn't get much better than that!

I don't think age defines you unless you think it does.  I'm thrilled to be 59 and I'm going to be just as excited as 60 rolls around.  I've enjoyed pursuing many of my own interests during the years my kids were growing up but with them now young adults, it seems the right time to do more.

My Dad loved watching the Full Moon every time it came around. In his later years, he would comment that he only had a few more good weekends left and he truly took advantage of them all.  He was in his 70's and was known in Miami as Grandpa Skate with his long silver hair in a pony tail as he skated all around South Beach.  

About a month after my dad died in 1999, my brother, Don, sent  this e-mail to each of our family members scattered here and there.

"I don't think I told you all about the wonderful sight that I saw the other night. The first thing you have to realize is that we are in our monsoon season out here.  You all realize that our sunsets and sunrises and rainbows are at their most breath taking, awe-inspiring moments of the year.  T'was the night of the Full Moon and the time was about 10:30 P.M.  We were having one of our classic electrical storms on the North side of us, with lightning flashing all across the sky. Kaboom!  Kaboom!  The thunder was ear splitting and nerve racking.  But yet to the South, the sky was clear and the stars were sparkin' brightly (Sparkin, must have been a kick back to some of our relatives in Tennessee.  The only ones we have still sparkin would be Broc n Gail.  But that is another story :).  The sky was clear and the stars were sparkling brightly.  I went around to lock up the lobby at the Post Office and to watch the show like Dad and I used to do.  We would get out a couple of beers and watch the sights of Mother Nature doing her thing don't ya know.  Well the stage is set and tis time for the finale.  The full moon breaks through the clouds and low and behold a full rainbow appeared in the dark of the night. "

Don died unexpectedly in the summer of 2005 at the age of 49 with so many full moons still unseen.  At 59, I'm so aware of my 10 extra years with all those moon rises that I may have missed because I wasn't paying attention.

This blog is my journal of bits of my upcoming year. My plan is 60 entries by 60 but we'll see how it evolves.   My intention is to be silly more often.  To find the magical in the simple things. To use my own words. To be part of some shenanigans. To learn new things.  To take more risks. To occasionally be outrageous. To Pay Attention.  To celebrate every Full Moon Rising.

Birthday Eve in Asheville

4 comments:

  1. I love shenanigans!!

    Gail, I'm excited to read this and I'm looking forward to your 60 posts! So many of us are facing this transition time. I'm looking forward to lots of discussions about our new chapter!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love. I love this idea, I love the thought of being aware of the amazing things in life and I love you. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you inspire me!! and you have one of my favorite smiles.

    ReplyDelete